The fifteenth-century building has been open to the public for over seventy years.
After the refurbishing had been completed by Mozarthaus Vienna Errichtungs- und Betriebs GmbH in close cooperation with the Federal Office for the Preservation of Monuments and Wien Museum, which curates the Mozart apartment, a permanent exhibition was opened on 27 January 2006 in an area of some 1,000 square metres and with the room layout that existed during Mozart’s time, with wide-ranging information about the ten years that Mozart spent in Vienna.
The two-storey seventeenth-century patrician house, whose original entrance was at Schulerstrasse 8 (at the time called Grosse Schulerstrasse, Stadt No. 845), had been altered in 1716 by its owner at the time, the master stonemason Andrea Simone Carove, to give it the form that Mozart knew when he moved in in 1784. He acquired the right of abode to the “representative noble dwelling, centrally situated, bel-étage, 4 rooms, 2 closets, kitchen, ground floor, cellar, 2 wooden vaults” for an annual rent of around 450 gulden from the Camesina family, or more precisely Maria Anna, the widowed daughter-in-law of the court plasterer Albert Camesina, who had taken over the house after the death of his father-in-law Carove around 1720.